Ever since we have been into this pandemic and the virtual world has replaced the online world, microphones have become a must for everyone. Whether you have an online presentation, class, or business meeting, a microphone is a must for you. Low volume can be an annoying situation, we have discussed in detail, How to turn up your mic volume?
You can’t even think about going into an online meeting without it. The same is the case with content creators such as podcasters, video streamers, and YouTubers who always look for a good microphone since a good microphone makes your content excellent for its audience.
But besides getting the right mic for your different needs, one should also know how to operate it properly.
What is Microphones Volume
It is quite common to face challenges while dealing with a piece of equipment such as your microphone, so it’s not an issue to be stressed about as you can fix it immediately.
During your mics, volume to high and low is relatively easy once you know about the mic’s settings, features, and operations.
Because there are various microphones available in the market and though they are all the same as recording the sounds of voice, their characteristics, and specifications can be different.
In this article, we will educate you about some tips and tricks that will help you turn up the volume of your mic.
Types of Microphones
Before we get into the topic of how to turn up the volume on your mic, let us first tell you about the mics types. Yes! There are types of microphones as well. But don’t get too confused as this is a specific topic to grasp, and you will be able to differentiate between the types in just seconds.
So, come on, let’s dig in. There are two major and most popular types of microphones available in the market. One type is condenser microphones. The other kind of microphone that is available is a dynamic microphone.
Now both microphones are designed differently, and they both are made and used for different purposes. Their features, operations, technology, specifications, and prices are also different.
Condenser microphones are more similar to traditional microphones, whereas dynamic microphones are more advanced and equipped with modern technology. Let’s get a clearer picture of both mics.
Condenser microphones have a lightweight diaphragm. This diaphragm is integrated with a fixed plate. The condenser microphones are mostly used in studios for recording acoustic instruments such as guitars since these mics are quite sensitive and can catch noises from the surroundings very quickly.
The condenser microphones are usually light in weight and easy to carry around. They work on phantom power and use XLR cables for the power supply. They are a bit more expensive than dynamic mics.
Working of Condenser Mics
Condenser microphones use charged metal plates that work on the electrostatic principle to generate output sounds. These plates are charged by electrical current.
Besides the diaphragm, they have a backplate, spacer, and a battery or phantom power portion. They usually operate on phantom power between the range of 11 to 50 volts.
Characteristics of Condenser Mics
- Usually have lightweight diagrams.
- Work on a battery or use a power supply.
- Come in both large and small-sized diaphragms.
- Suitable for studio use.
- Ideal for acoustic instruments, especially acoustic guitars.
- Can pick up even the slightest and most delicate sounds.
- Use the electrostatic principle for operation.
- Have a parallel plate capsule.
- Also, have a black plate that acts as one of the dishes for the capacitor.
- Come with an impendence convertor.
Unlike the condenser microphones, the dynamic microphones use the electromagnetism principle that converts the sound signals into electrical signals.
The dynamic microphones are further categorized into two types one is dynamic ribbon microphones, and the other is moving-coil dynamic microphones.
Dynamic microphones are used for on-stage performances as these microphones are less sensitive to the surrounding sounds, so they are just perfect for the vocals. Musicians most often use them for rapping and beatboxing.
Unlike condenser microphones, dynamic mics are surprisingly reasonable in price. Let us now see how these work.
Working of Dynamic Mics
The dynamic microphones use a thin diaphragm that captures the sounds. Besides the diagram, most of dynamic microphones also use a magnet and a wire coil. Dynamic microphones usually have cardioid, Supercardiooid, and omnidirectional polar patterns among these cardioid polar patterns are the most popular.
The diaphragm is connected to the wire of the coil, which is integrated into the mic. When the sound flow in the diaphragm vibrates, and as a result, the wave moves or rotates.
The coil then produces the electrical signals and gives the output sound.
Characteristics of a Dynamic Mic
- Dynamic microphones are also sometimes called moving coil microphones.
- Have two types of ribbon and coil microphones.
- Simple designs.
- Budget-friendly and cost-effective.
- Can easily reject the extra surrounding noises in the background.
- Do not require any battery or phantom power supply.
- Dynamic microphones are ideal for recording vocals.
- Popular among singers
- Unlike condenser microphones, they do not need any preamplifiers.
- They will give transparent and warm sounds with minimum or no disturbance.
- These are less heavy than condenser microphones.
How To Increase Your Mic Volume?
Now that you know about the different types of microphones, their features, and their working, let us now dig into the main topic, which is how you can turn your mic volume up.
Because after understanding all the specifications, it will be a lot easier for you to understand them.
Turning Up The Volume On The Condenser Mic
Is your volume too low while you work with your condenser mic? Well, don’t worry, we have got your back. Here are a few things you can try to bring your volume up to where you will like it.
- If you are suddenly facing issues with the volume, like suddenly it has become shallow, then unplug the microphone from, you’re your computer or PC or whatever device it is connected in, try then to plug it in again and change the ports or sockets. You can even change the connecting device to know if there is some issue with the machine and not with the mic.
- Or you can go to the sound settings on your computer by right-clicking on that sound icon and then checking the recording status to see the problem and adjust the sound from your computer.
- Also, there will be an advanced tab option in your sound setting. Choose it and check whether you have allowed any application to control the device if you have unchecked it immediately and plug your mic inside again.
- Also, you will find some buttons and switches or even control panels from where you can adjust the volume on some mics.
- You can also check if the phantom power is on and try increasing the gain to see the change.
- You can also connect the mic with a USB cable instead of an XLR cable to see any change.
- Make sure that the sound recording software is updated.
Turning Up The Volume On a Dynamic Mic
Although dynamic mics are very good at rejecting background noises but still, they will require a high gain to sound at a reasonable volume, and it’s quite common that they will say low, but you can fix the problem by learning how to use them properly. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure the microphone is right in front of your mouth and at an accurate distance, and you are not too far away or too close to it. Make sure space is not more than -6 decibels.
- Go to your computer’s system settings and check the sound settings to see and understand the problem. Most of the time, your sound settings have been set improperly, and that causes issues with the volume.
- Make sure you are using a separate track to record your audio. Don’t use game tracks or any other track as they will low the sound volume.
- Usually, higher frequencies can make the volume go up. You can set up the sound frequencies to a higher range to make the importance go high.
How to turn up your mic volume windows 10?
For turning up the volume on Windows 10 you will first need to select the menu.
- From the menu choose the settings option.
- Move to the sound settings or you can also right-click on the taskbar where you will find the speaker option as it will work either way.
- Next, choose the input option you will see a drop-down list appearing instantly after that. From this list, you can choose your input device which would be the microphone. You will see a bar or a slider once you select the option.
- Moving it to the right will allow the system to increase the volume of the mic on Windows 10. You can also try the same steps from the control panel and later can test the sound level.
How to turn up your mic volume on Chromebook?
- To turn up the mic volume on Chromebook you need to right-click on the bottom right corner of your desktop exactly on the clock.
- Next, open the audio settings. There would be an input option and you will need to choose a microphone from here.
- Just exactly below this input option, you will find a bar or a slider with the help of the cursor move it to the right to turn up the volume to a level according to your sound requirements and needs.
How to turn up your mic volume on ps4?
- Choose the home menu from the screen of your ps4.
- From the menu find the option settings and select the X button that you will find there.
- Then choose the devices option and again press the X button. After this scroll on to the next option that will be audio devices to press on the X button once again for it too.
- Finally, choose the microphone level and press the X button one last time. An input volume bar will appear from where you can easily turn up the mic volume.
- Press the ok button after you have increased volume to the desired level and then press onto the X button to finish the task.
How to turn up your mic volume on iPhone?
- Find the settings on your iPhone and choose the sound option.
- After choosing the sound option you will find an option change with buttons slide it to choose ‘On’ preference.
- Then to increase the volume you will need to find a ‘+’ button on the side of your iPhone.
- To increase the volume, you will need to press it until desired volume level is achieved. This will increase the overall volume of the system and the mic volume will also be increased automatically.
- To lower the volume, press the ‘– ‘option.
Final Thoughts on How to Turn up Mic Volume
Whether you are performing on stage, giving a speech in an event, or you are in a middle of an online meeting, your mic’s sound quality always does the magic in grasping the attention of your audience.
And in case the volume of your mic is too low, it will not only cause you to stress but also annoy the audience, and they will get bore quickly no matter how a good singer or speaker you are.
So, you have to make sure your volume is not too low. In this article, we have shared a few tips about how you can do so. We hope you have found them useful and exciting. Thanks for reading. Have a fantastic day.