Amplifiers are an important part of any home theater system, and before buying one you always want to do a lot of research. To save you time, we will be pairing two great amplifier brands, Adcom vs Emotiva. Which one is better? Which speaker should you buy? You’re about to find out, as you keep reading.
Adcom and Emotiva have a lot of amplifiers on their shelves. These amplifiers differ in design and performance, depending on the model and capacity you go for. So, The difference between Adcom and Emotiva amplifiers is that they both provide high-quality sound performance, but they have different designs, models, and features.
Comparison Table of Adcom vs Emotiva
|Output Power||200 watts per channel, 8 ohms|
300 watts per channel, 4 ohms
600 watts, 8 ohms BRIDGED
|Power Output (ALL channels driven):
140 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
200 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms.
Power Output (two channels driven):
150 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
250 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
|Broad Band Frequency Response||@ 1watt, 8-ohms:|
10Hz to 20kHz +0, -0.25dB
|10 Hz to 80 kHz +0/-1.8 dB|
|Power Bandwidth||1.7Hz to 100kHz||20 Hz to 20 kHz (+ / – 0.02 dB)|
|Input Impedance||100k ohms unbalanced|
10k ohms balanced
|Power Requirements||120VAC & 230VAC / 50-60Hz||115 VAC or 230 VAC @ 50 / 60 Hz (automatically detected)|
|Max Dimensions||7-1/2” x 12-1/2” x 17”|
191mm X 318mm X 432mm
|17” wide x 4” high x 15-1/2” deep (not including connectors).
21-1/2” wide x 8” high x 21” deep (boxed).
Shipping weight:39lbs (18kg)
|25 lbs (unboxed)
31 lbs (boxed)
|Input Sensitivity||1.75V rms, 200W into 8 ohms.|
130mV rms, 1 W into 8 ohms.
|Damping Factor||≥ 900, 20Hz to 20kHz.||> 500.|
About the Adcom Amplifiers Brand
ADCOM amplifiers are designed by the best engineers in the industry. They have decades of experience in developing audio products. ADCOM has a wide range of amplifiers to choose from. Some models are meant for home use while others are meant for commercial purposes. They are all great performers with exceptional sound quality.
The amplifiers’ designs are unique and beautiful which makes them a good addition to any home theater system or car stereo system. The ADCOM amplifiers have some of the best features that you will find in this category of equipment. Some of these features include:
- High Power Output
- Low Distortion Rate
- High-Efficiency Design
About the Emotiva Amplifiers Brand
Emotiva Amplifiers brings you high-quality audio components designed by our electrical engineers with years of experience in designing and building audio equipment. Their products are hand-built in an American facility where they have complete control over every stage of production.
The result is a line of high-performance electronics that offers excellent value for money, solid reliability, and great sound quality. Their amplifiers boast a tightly controlled, low noise floor, wide frequency response, and plenty of power to drive even the most finicky speakers.
The Adcom Amplifiers Shelf
The Adcom brand offers a wide range of quality amplifiers that include:
The Emotiva Amplifiers Shelf
The Emotiva has numerous amplifiers on its shelf. They include;
- BasX A1 Monoblock Power Amplifier
- BasX A2 Stereo Amplifier
- BasX A2m Stereo Flex Amplifier
- BasX A3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier
- BasX A4 Four-Channel Power Amplifier
- BasX A5 Five-Channel Power Amplifier
- BasX A6 Six-Channel Power Amplifier
- BasX A7 Seven-Channel Power Amplifier
- BasX TA1 Stereo Preamp/DAC/TUNER With Integrated Amplifier
- BasX TA2 Stereo Preamp/DAC/TUNER With Integrated Amplifier
- Build Your Own (Custom Configuration) Audiophile Power Amplifier
- HCRE-1 Chassis Coupler Kit
- XPA HC-1 High Current Monoblock Amplifier
- XPA-11 Gen3 11 Channel Audiophile Home Theater Power Amplifier
- XPA-2 Gen3 2 Channel Audiophile Power Amplifier
- XPA-3 Gen3 3 Channel Audiophile Home Theater Power Amplifier
- XPA-4 Gen3 4 Channel Audiophile Home Theater Power Amplifier
- XPA-5 Gen3 5 Channel Audiophile Home Theater Power Amplifier
Adcom vs Emotiva; Comparing Their Best Sellers
Next, we are going to compare the best products from the two brands:
The Adcom GFA-555 represents the most advanced thinking in audio amplifier design. It offers exceptional value and superior performance at a reasonable price. The classic award-winning amplifier design of the original GFA-555mkII has been reborn.
Features of Adcom GFA555se
- 200 watts per channel, 8 ohms
- 300 watts per channel, 4 ohms
- 600 watts, 8 ohms BRIDGED
- @ 1watt, 8-ohms:
- 10Hz to 20kHz +0, -0.25dB
- Power Bandwidth (-3dB):
- 1.7Hz to 100kHz
- 100k ohms unbalanced
- 10k ohms balanced
- 120VAC & 230VAC / 50-60Hz
- 7-1/2” x 12-1/2” x 17”
- 191mm X 318mm X 432mm
- 36lbs (16.3kg)
- Shipping weight:39lbs (18kg)
- 1.75V rms, 200W into 8 ohms.
- 130mV rms, 1 W into 8 ohms.
- ≥ 900, 20Hz to 20kHz.
BasX A3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier
The BasX A3 three-channel power amplifier is the ideal choice to power a 3.1-channel system, or for upgrading the front three channels of a surround sound receiver. It offers 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms and delivers greater than 92% efficiency with three channels driven. This means that it draws minimal power from the AC line, reducing heat and its impact on the environment.
Features of BasX A3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier
- Power Output (ALL channels driven):
- 140 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
- 200 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms.
- Power Output (two channels driven):
- 150 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
- 250 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
- Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 4 Ohm – 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+ / – 0.02 dB)
- Broad Band Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 80 kHz +0/-1.8 dB
- THD + noise: < 0.02% (A-weighted); ref rated power
- Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
- > 112 dB; ref rated power; (A-weighted).
- Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (per channel): 4 Ohms
- (which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads).
- Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.
- Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.25 V.
- Gain: 29 dB.
- Input Impedance: 27 kOhms.
Input And Output Connections
- Input Connections: Unbalanced (RCA); one each per channel.
- Speaker Output Connections: Audiophile grade 5-way binding posts.
- Trigger Input: 5 – 12 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required.
- Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 120 mA.
- 115 VAC or 230 VAC @ 50 / 60 Hz (automatically detected).
Front Panel Controls and Indicators
- Standby: push button.
- Status LEDs: one per channel; blue.
- Standby LED: amber.
Rear Panel Controls
- AC Power switch: rocker switch (switches AC main power).
- Status LEDs switch: disables front panel Status LEDs.
- The BasX A3 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions.
- 17” wide x 4” high x 15-1/2” deep (not including connectors).
- 21-1/2” wide x 8” high x 21” deep (boxed).
- 25 lbs (unboxed)
- 31 lbs (boxed)
Where Are Adcom Amps Made?
From the GFA-555se best seller to several others, their amplifier shelf is made in New Taipei, Taiwan. Most Adcom amps are made in Taiwan, but some are also manufactured in China. Both countries have factories that produce high-quality audio equipment with excellent service and support.
Final Thoughts on Adcom vs Emotiva
Ultimately, both the Adcom and Emotiva home theater amplifiers share a lot in common. They both provide exceptional sound quality, especially considering the quality. If you’re looking for an affordable option to power your surround sound or home theater setup, these are two worth keeping in mind.