While purchasing online products we always tend to go for the brands that are the most popular not just because of their high prices but because of their features, durability, reliability, and excellent performance.
If you are looking to purchase a microphone you might have heard about Shure microphones. Shure offers a wide range of wireless microphones for its customers. Its microphones are quite popular on Amazon these days because of their multi-features, performance, and affordable prices.
Whether you need a microphone for recording your podcast, YouTube content, or if you are a musician and want a professional mic for recording your audio and instruments for a live performance or inside a studio, guess what? Shure has got you all backed up.
You can trust Shure when it comes to investing in a high-performance mic that can help you in recording content for a lifetime. Apart from its amazing performance and quality, it is almost all the contemporary features to compliment your recordings.
Also, one more reason why these microphones are popular is because of their price which is quite affordable.
Comparison Table (Shure SM57 vs SM58)
|Parameters||Shure SM57-LC||Shure SM58-LC
|2500+ Reviews||7000+ Reviews
|Frequency range||The frequency range of Shure sm57 ranges from 40 Hz to 15kHz.||The frequency range of Shure sm58 ranges from 50 Hz to 15kHZ.
|Polar Pattern||Offers a cardioid polar pattern.||Offers a cardioid polar pattern.
|Impendence||Impendence of approximately 150 ohms.||Impendence of approximately 150 ohms.
|Sensitivity||-56.0 dBV/pv is the sensitivity of this microphone||-57.0 dBV/PV is the sensitivity of this microphone.
|Microphone Type||Dynamic microphone.||Dynamic microphone.
|Warranty||Warranty of two years.||Warranty of two years.
Design of Microphone
- The Shure sm57 microphone comes in silver colour which makes it quite attractive.
- Mic body is designed from the 1930’s inspired microphones designs which give it quite an aesthetic look.
- Weighs approximately 284 grams which is not quite heavy.
- Released in 2004 and became instantly popular after its release in the market.
- The body of the mic is quite strong as it is quoted with metal. On the front hand of the microphone, there is a power button from which you can toggle between on and off.
- The handle of this microphone is fixed inside the microphone body with the help of a tension swivel mechanism. At first, you will find it difficult to turn the mic away from you but with time the movement of the microphone becomes smother.
- Comes with an adapter. Just below the metal grille, there is a foam filter.
- There is an external pop filter available with the mic too. You can replace the foam filter with the pop filter just in case.
- To block any outside noises an internal shock mount is also a part of this mic.
- The overall design of this microphone is just fabulous.
- Just like the Shure sm57 the design of the Shure sm58 is also designed like an old mic.
- Like the new mic that is coming in the market nowadays, Shure sm58 does not have a cone shape design but still, its old design makes it quite admirable among the musicians and podcasters.
- Quite a vintage design.
- Shure sm58 is the latest model of the Shure microphone series.
- The body of the mic is coated with zinc which makes it more admirable for the customers.
- Super-cardioid polar pattern.
- Its cardioid capsule works best when it is combined with stage monitors which are placed on the side of the microphone.
- Also, the sensitivity of the microphone which is -57dBV/pv gives an output.
- Automatically switches on when it’s plugged in which is quite actually a new innovation in the Shure series microphone because it makes live performances easier and more convenient. But at the same time would be a con too because most people are actually comfortable with an on and off button.
- Comes in a classy black colour and also includes a red windscreen that protects the capsule of the microphone.
- Comes with a swivel mount stand on which you can easily fix the mic.
Features of Microphone
- Shure sm57 offers a uniform cardioid polar pattern which is very good at rejecting any unwanted noises from the outside. Giving you a clear and crisp sound quality.
- Frequency response is quite tailored and is specifically kept in a range of 40 Hz to 15kHz so that one can record the best quality vocals.
- This frequency range is also suitable for recording instruments, your podcasts, or for gaming and YouTube videos.
- The chrome metal construction of this microphone protects this microphone from any kind of damage.
- Although the design of this mic is old school, its performance is quite modern and contemporary.
- It’s a classic yet up to date mic.
- Has shock-mounted cartilage that minimizes any transmitted sound giving you a smooth operation.
- Comes with a swivel stand mount on with the help of which you can easily fix the mic inside.
- This swivel stand also makes it quite convenient for you to tilt the mic forward up to 45 degrees and up to 80 degrees backward.
- Includes an on and off button which is a plus point as it will make it easier for the users to operate it.
- Comes with an XLR cable 25 ft in length.
- Easily work with loud sounds without creating any disturbance in the sound quality.
- Unlike Shure sm57, the Shure sm58 offers a cardioid polar pattern.
- Cardioid pattern provides a uniform sound quality but removing any unnecessary sounds from the surroundings.
- Its polar pattern also produces enough pressure on the diaphragm to create a positive voltage.
- Just like the Shure sm57 the frequency of Shure sm58 is ranged from 50kHz to 15kHz for giving a natural and crystal-clear sound quality.
- Zinc and metal coating on its body protects it from any damage making the quality of the mic reliable and durable.
- Comes with a zipper storage bag. In case you need to travel or have to take the microphone for the outside recording you can easily carry it inside the bag. this bag will protect it from damage while you carry it with you.
- This mic has an old vintage and classy design combined with modern and up to date performance with all the features specially designed keeping in mind the contemporary specifications.
- This dual feature of the mic is what attracts the customers in purchasing this mic.
- Has a blue foam windscreen that helps to protect the capsule of the mic against any moisture, dust, and damage from the outside.
- This microphone is best for both studio and lives performances.
Performance of Microphone
Despite that, both microphones, Shure sm57 and Shure sm58 are excellent in terms of their design and features but it is actually the performance of the microphone that makes it number one among its customers and in the market.
- This mic is so famous nowadays is because of its good performance that ensures quality sound.
- Although the frequency response is specially designed to record vocals, this microphone is actually pretty good at recording instruments.
- One can also use it for online streaming, gaming and recording podcasts.
- Besides recording this microphone is also good at providing clear and crisp sound quality.
- No matter if you are recording vocals or instruments, performing in a studio or live the sound quality of the microphone would not be affected.
- Also, this microphone performs quite well in blocking or rejecting any outside noise because of its noise-reducing features such as a shock mount.
- Overall, we must say the performance of this mic is pretty good.
- Shure sm58 is a cardioid dynamic mic. Just like Shure sm57, we found that Shure sm58 is also good at its performance.
- Has a tailored frequency range that is specially designed to catch natural sounds even if the vocals are too loud and high this mic will end up giving you a good quality sound.
- Off-axis rejection and high gain before feedback is just excellent.
- The swivel mount stand helps you to fix the microphone inside it. You can also rotate the mic backwards and forward and it won’t disturb the sound quality.
- Some users suggested that one should keep their mouth at least 6 feet away from the capsule to get excellent quality of sound.
- This microphone has a vintage design but its performance and all the features are up to date.
- It has shock-mounted cartilage that rejects any unwanted noises from outside giving you crystal clear sound output.
- This microphone does not come with an on and off button which some users found it actually bad because according to them during the live performance it was unable to avoid the surrounding noises and that altered the sound quality a bit.
- But apart from this, the microphone is ideal for studio use or recording podcasts and YouTube videos.
Similarities and Differences
Similarities between Shure SM57 and Shure SM58
- Both of these microphones belong to the Shure series 55.
- Designed to keep the old school microphones in mind.
- They have a classy and vintage design.
- These mics will definitely remind you of the famous Elvis microphone.
- Both of these mics are dynamic and have up to date features despite an old design.
- They both come in silver color.
- Look identical and also, they come in the same price range as the sure series microphone series.
- They have a chrome-plated coating on the body of their capsules.
- Both these microphones are equipped with shock-mounted cartilage which minimizes any vibration during the recording.
- They both also include a swivel mount stand which not only keeps the mics in place but also helps you to move the microphones85 degrees backwards and 45 degrees forward.
Differences between Shure SM57 and Shure SM58
Although both of these microphones look identical because of their vintage design and also that they belong to the same family of Shure microphones. They both have a lot of differences between them as well. A few of the prominent differences are discussed below.
Frequency range: Shure sm57 comes with a frequency range of 50Hz to 15Khz meanwhile the frequency response of the Shure sm58 ranges from 60Hz to 17kHz.
The frequency of Shure sm57is specially tailored to become compatible for recording speech, vocals, and instruments. While the frequency response of Shure sm58 is tailored in recording natural sounds for speech and vocals.
Operation buttons: The Shure sm57 comes with on and off buttons which are located at the handle of the microphone. Whereas the Shure sm58 does not come with the on and off button.
Design: They both have a vintage design and come in silver colour but the Shure sm 58 includes a blue colour in its windscreen.
Price: Although these mics are not highly expensive as compared to the Shure sm57 the Shure sm58 is a bit more expensive in price.
Protection: They both include a windscreen to protect the capsule of the mic but the Shure sm58 includes a zipper bag to carry the mic while you take it outside with you while Shure sm57 does not come with a bag.
Pros and Cons of Shure SM57
- Has a vintage and classy design.
- Comes with an on and off button which makes it easier for the users to operate it.
- Dynamic mic.
- It has all the contemporary features.
- Does not require any phantom power.
- Its off-axis rejection is quite excellent we must say.
- Provides crystal clear sound output.
- Frequency range is tailored to record instruments and vocals.
- Can be used both inside and outside the studio for live performances as well.
- Comes with a shock mount cartilage.
- Also includes a swivel mount stands to fix the mic inside.
- It has a durable build.
- Less in price than the Shure sm58.
- The size of this mic is actually quite heavy.
- Has some conventional features.
- One can face plosives and pop-ups sometimes.
Pros and Cons of Shure SM58
- Offers a cardioid polar pattern which helps in rejecting any unwanted outside noises.
- Its frequency is tailored specifically to record audios and vocals.
- Comes with a zipper bag for protecting the mic in case you need to carry it around.
- It has a chrome-plated die casting to protect the body of the mic.
- Comes with a blue-coloured windscreen to protect the capsule.
- Includes a swivel mount stand that can be easily rotated 45 degrees forward and 80 degrees backward.
- Does not require any phantom power.
- It is a dynamic mic with a durable and versatile design and features.
- Does not include an on and off button.
- It is actually a bit heavy in size.
- Expensive in terms of price.
No doubt both of these microphones are quite famous and popular in the market for a number of multiple reasons. If you are a fan of aesthetic and vintage-designed mic or if you are a fan of Elvis Presley then we recommend you to get your hands on these two beauties. We bet you would not regret buying any of these.
The brand Shure is already a renowned brand in the market which keeps on coming with innovative and versatile design mic every now and then to keep its customers attractive.
Over the years they have created a huge fan following for their mic series. If you are a beginner and you want to give a professional look to your videos while you record your audios then you should definitely get this microphone.
Also, these microphones are just amazing to record podcasts, youtube videos, performing live or recording vocals inside the studio. You can also use these mics for recording home videos.
We found both these mics pretty good in terms of their performances.
But if you are looking for a more up-to-date mic then we will recommend you to get your hands-on Shure sm58 as it is a more modern mic in terms of its features as compared to the Shure sm57 which is a bit conventional compared to it.