If you guys are in search of the best microphones for the grand piano, then search no more. In this article, I’ll introduce you to the best microphone for the grand piano and make your experience the best.
These mics are top-notch mics and speak for themselves. Before getting deep into the article, I want to introduce you to the grand piano instrument.
Now, here the question arises, what is a grand piano and how you can use it?
The grand piano is the top striking instrument in the musical world. It is designed with an ample range and extended strings that tend to supply a complete voice and amazingly loaded resonance.
Apart from this, its dynamic range allows it for the most muted passages and the most deafening climaxes. So, by using the grand piano you can get sound of good quality.
You people might be thinking that why to use a microphone with a grand piano.
You guys need to use a good microphone with a grand piano because it will aid you in recording and reinforcing the sound of your piano.
So, you need to have a strong microphone that can give you a powerful signal chain and also enhances your sound quality.
The mics, you are using with the grand piano, must be of premium quality, durable, reliable, and sturdy enough to make your work easier.
List of Top 4 Microphones for Grand Piano
Rode NT1-A Microphone
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Shure SM57-LC Microphone
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
MXL 770 Microphone
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
1. Rode NT1A Microphone
Rode NT1A Mic is a great way to confine studio-quality sound. This microphone features a solid design with a suitable included folding clip/stand.
The clip is used to mount the Rode Mic to your laptop tactfully, or it can be folded and located on a flat surface for use on a grand piano.
You don’t even have to worry about installing drivers. Just switch it into the USB port on your Mac or PC, and you’re good to go.
This microphone is supreme not only for grand pianos but also for recording music, podcasting, field recording, voice identification, webcasting, and more.
With an extensive range of functions, this plug-and-play USB microphone is the perfect companion for a wide variety of applications.
In addition to this, Rode NT1A comes with an additional portable USB studio condenser designed in the attached integral fold clip perfect for singing and recording voice.
You can also enjoy music, record voice, acoustic instruments, different sound picking, or sensing patterns i-e Omni pattern, which can even pick up sound 360° around the Microphone.
Rode NT1A can be easily attached to Mac/Pc and Windows. It has a frequency response of 20 Hz – 20 kilohertz. Besides, it has a stereo-built headphone output.
It is easily attached everywhere i-e on top of the laptop, board it will work wonders for recording music, transmission, streaming, gaming, VoIP, and Skype.
This unique mic has a unique fold-up design, which makes it professional for you to use it anywhere. Thus, it is the best option for singers to use and show their talent in the best possible way to the audience.
Moreover, the audience will also enjoy the music because of the crystal-clear sound of the mic.
Features of Rode NT1A Microphone
- Versatile Diaphragm microphone for a tremendous signal path.
- Its polar pattern is Cardioid to enable it to do efficient work.
- 150 ohms impedance power.
- Offers two polar patterns which are the cardioid and omnidirectional polar pattern for a better sound response and output.
- Frequency reaction ranges from 20 Hz – 20 kilohertz, thus providing the best sounding experience.
- Comes with two capsules that can be used interchangeably.
- Comes with Pristine studio-quality recording.
- Best for singers.
- Easy to handle.
- Easy to put, overall accessories provided with it are easy to connect.
- It is using as a handheld mic, which can create a problem for singers. So you need to buy a stand adapter with it.
2. Shure SM57 LC Cardioid microphone
This article is best for the most superb microphone is Shure sm57. It is a powerful Cardio loudspeaker for streaming audio, speech, and video and is best used with grand pianos.
This microphone has a transformer and provides an XLR-XLR connector.
Even a small board can use this microphone. It is known worldwide for its consistent and pure sound, which delivers all the sound precisely.
The receiver has a cardioid pattern that effectively retains the unwanted sound at the back of the capsule. This multipurpose mic has a dynamic design.
It can be used for several purposes such as for recording vocals, backup and lead singing, or recording an instrument. It’s an all-purpose mic.
It’s an ideal mic for grand pianos, podcasts, and recording karaoke. No matter if you are using it in a studio or at home it sound quality would not change and would be excellent and amazing.
This mic is a top-notch quality mic that will work for a long time without disappointment.
Check Detailed Comparision between Shure SM57 and SM58
Features of Shure SM57 LC Microphone
- Characteristic frequencies between 50 Hz and 15 kHz ensure clear and transparent sound.
- Includes an XLR cable.
- Weighs 1.59 pounds.
- Comes with an on and off switch.
- Cardioid pickup pattern, which helps to reduce feedback.
- It has a complete frequency response and high power output for excellent sound quality.
- Offers several performances, such as podcasting.
- Easily portable.
- Price friendly.
- Vocals muffle up sometimes.
3. MXL 770 Microphone
MXL 770 is a small diaphragm condenser microphone. It has a pencil shape and is approximately 0.87 inches in size.
And its weight is around 0.2 lbs. most of the people in the market prefer to get dynamic mics. But for guitar piano, most people go for a condenser microphone.
One of the reasons is their high transient response which helps to record both instruments and vocals.
Moreover, because of their low mass, they can catch the sound waves more clearly as compared to the dynamic microphone.
The condenser mic usually has a wide range of frequencies and has a high sensitivity than the other average dynamic microphones.
It comes with a small diaphragm is useful if you want to record clear and natural sounds. If you are looking for a small diagram condenser microphone, then guess what you are in the right place. Let’s dig in further.
Features of MXL 770 Microphone
- Pencil condenser microphone.
- Offers cardioid and omnidirectional polar patterns you can interchange the capsules to get extra flexibility in the sound quality.
- Internal Mogami cable has premium quality.
- The frequency of this microphone ranges from 30Hz to 20kHz.
- Comes with superior sensitivity ranges which are around -49 dB re 1 V/Pa.
- Impendence is around 150 ohms.
- Requires external phantom power of +/- 4 V.
- Consumes approximately around 5.2 mA current.
- Available in a green and golden colour which makes it quite attractive and admire able.
- Its SN/ ratio is approximately 78 dB.
- Have two gold capsules.
- Also includes an MXL-03 hard mount stand adapter.
- Comes with a microfiber cleaning cloth.
- Includes a microphone clip in the package as well.
- The package also offers a shock mount of high isolation to remove or reject any unwanted noises from the outside.
- Small diaphragm to give a flat sound response.
- Relatively lightweight and easy to handle.
- It’s a pressure gradient condenser microphone.
- Has a wide range of frequency to give good sound output.
- Ideal for recording string instruments such as guitar and violin.
- Comes with a warranty for three years.
- Includes a case in case you need to travel with the microphone.
- It also includes accessories which include a shock mount, stands mount adapter, cleaning cloth, and a clip.
- Fall in the reasonable price range.
- Comes with a wooden storage box.
- Uses phantom power.
- Quite sensitive to the surrounding sounds.
- Not quite suitable for non-stringed instruments such as drums.
- Does not come with a shock mount.
- Not suitable for live performances.
- Since it uses phantom power, so it is not possible to plug the mic in your computer without any interference.
4. Neumann TLM 102 Condenser Microphone
Here is another super technically designed microphone best for grand pianos.
The Neumann TLM 102 Condenser Microphone may be a professional-level receiver with a fantastic and compact condenser mic and will give you the best-sounding experience.
The receiver and accessories area unit light-weight, simple to use, and long-lived.
If you’ve got tired of most mics, and aren’t finding any suitable mic for grand piano according to your pocket. Then this mic is well-suited for you.
This mic delivers the highest-quality sound from its retiring mic.
Its high polar pattern captures the speaker’s clarity with no interference. This technique comes with many useful accessories, together with two cable clips and windscreens.
Hence, we recommend you highly to use the mic.
Features of Neumann TLM 102 Microphone
- This outstanding mic encompasses an admired condenser broadcast microphone that can be used in many recording applications and for singing.
- Frequency response ranges from 50 Hz – 20 kHz.
- Wide-range for extremely clean and natural imitation of mutual music and speech.
- Cardioid polar pattern so that it can handle any task given to it.
- It is individual mics to use as gathering all of the pro audio opportunities.
- Comes with a 200ohms impedance.
- The battery life is affordable.
- Produces a clear and sharp sound.
- The system is simple to use.
- Wide coverage.
- It is not very reliable and durable. Hence it won’t work for a long time.
So, while purchasing mics for the grand piano, you need to put heed to the following points.
What Makes A Model Grand Piano Microphone?
Let us talk about a shortlist of the significant criterion that strived to make up a perfect grand piano microphone:
Flat and extended frequency response
Select a microphone with a flat and extended frequency response so that you can precisely capture the resonance of a grand piano.
The sensitivity of the mic
A more sensitive microphone will tend to record more intricacy in the grand piano presentation as compared to a less sensitive mic. So you need to; look at the sensitivity of mics when purchasing them for grand piano.
Precise transient response
It is always wonderful to have a marked fleeting reaction when using grand pianos.
The mics that are designed with a huge diaphragm condenser are measured as the finest mics for the grand piano. This is because these types of mics are vigorous and energetic and have self-noise. So you should be choosing those mics which have low self-noise and produce a quality sound.
You need to pick a directional microphone because it will suit the diverse miking techniques that are suitable with grand pianos.
I am hopeful that this article has shed light on all the best and extremely affordable podcasting microphones. If you are looking for the best receivers under $50, this article will help at the best of it.
All the products mentioned above come with commending features and industrially technical designs that allow the workflow to be simpler and faster.
According to my research, I will like to recommend you a few microphones that I think are best for recording a podcast.
The first suggestion is Rode NT1-A Condenser Microphone. This mic is just ideal for any podcaster to begin with. It will give you the finest quality of sound and will conceal all the background noises.
You can also try the Shure SM57-LC mic. The greatest thing about this mic is that despite being cheap it has an amazing quality.
Most of the cheap microphones that are available in the market are not as durable and good as this microphone.
These mics are the best options for you to use with guitar pianos and win the hearts of your audience. We bet your audience will come for more of your content.
The last mic that we will suggest is MXL Mics 770. Surprisingly this mic is quite reasonable in price.
It speaks for itself and because of its cardioid polar pattern the sound quality of this inexpensive mic is beyond our expectations.
FAQs on Best Microphone for Recording Piano
Do we have to get a 48V phantom adapter for the Rode NT1-A microphone?
Well yes, definitely you will have to purchase a 48V phantom power on your own if you want to get your hands on the Rode NT1-A microphone.
This mic does not work without a 48V phantom power adapter. If you don’t want to use it then you can also get a 48 V power phantom XLR mixer for use with the microphone.
Can we use the Rode NT1-A microphone with a Mackbook?
Yes, for sure you can connect or pair the Rode NT1-A microphone with your Macbook. You can connect this microphone to your mic with the help of the user interface, that’s all.
We would like to suggest you use the Focusrite 2i2 as it works perfectly on your MacBook with a microphone.
Can we use any other shock mount with the Neumann TLM 102 Condenser Microphone besides the one that comes with it?
Yes, you can use other shock mounts with it. There are many shock mounts available in the market it will be hard to choose the perfect one since most of the shock mounts are large in the size and you will have to struggle with them while using your mic.
So, to avoid any complications we recommend you to use the Neumann shock mount as it is designed accordingly with the microphone.
How can we plug in the Rode NT5 microphone with the devices?
To connect the Rode NT5 microphone with your devices that you want to work with you will need a cord or cable probably an XLR cable.
This cable connects with both the microphone and mixer and you can also use it with an amplifier. You would also need a microphone preamp that uses phantom power.
Does the Rode NT5 microphone come with a shock mount?
Well, you do not need a shock mount for the Rode NT5 microphone as it does not require one. This mic uses a stand adapter that is already included in the package and is of good quality.
If we want to plug the Sennheiser MD421-11 with a Pc or MacBook with the help of a USB port what kind of adapter will it require?
To connect the Sennheiser MD421-11 with a Pc or MacBook through a USB port, you will require to have a USB interference, the one that will allow the XLR input connection.
We would like to recommend to you guys a few interferences that are good such as the M-Audio, MOTU, Apogee, Universal Audio.
Does the Sennheiser MD421-11 microphone come with an XLR cable or a cord?
This microphone does not come with an XLR cable. Since the microphone works with the XLR cable best so you will need to purchase an XLR cable of phantom power on your own. We wish you the best of luck with it.
Can we use the Sennheiser MD421-11 microphone with an iPad?
Yes, you can pair this microphone with an iPad. All you need will be a USB hub that will be powered, an XLR cable to connect with the USB converter, and at last a USB adapter.
This combination would work great to pair your mic with an iPad.